List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: compile errors
From:       Andrew Park <apark () cdf ! toronto ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-27 16:18:44

On 27 Apr 2000 suzukis@file.phys.tohoku.ac.jp wrote:

> > I have gcc version 2.7.2.3. Do I  need to upgrade?
>
> Yes, it's a bit too old to try SGI Linux kernel source.
> Please try egcs-1.1.2. egcs-1.0.x can compile too,
> but I recommend egcs-1.1.2.

Well, some may say that it is old, but gcc 2.7.2.3 IS the official
compiler of the linux Kernel.  I (IMHO) think it is rather stupid if
XFS wouldn't compile with the official linux kernel compiler.  I'd like to
know the following then

	1.  Is SGI pushing to have XFS accepted into official linux kernel
	    sources?

	2.  If so, then why create extra work now, by having things that'll
	    break with official kernel compiler?

	3.  If not (of #1) what is SGI intending?

Thank you

Andrew Park