List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: how to restore a snapshot in XFS ?
From:       Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr () linznet ! at>
Date:       2024-05-12 17:51:25

On Sonntag, 12. Mai 2024, 14:30:12 CEST Bernd Lentes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just created a XFS Partition to store raw images of qemu domains on it.
> I create snapshots of these files with cp --reflink.
> Is that the correct way ?
>
> Now I want to go back to such a snapshot. How do I achieve this ?
> Just copy the snapshot over the original ?

I'm following this strategy for several years now, in in case I need to
restore from such a "backup", I use cp --reflink when copying the snapshot over
the original.
Without the --reflink you'd get a completely new copy of your snapshot, and
when producing new snapshots they will not have anything in common with your
previous snapshots --> more disc space.

Alex

> Thanks.
>
> Bernd
>

> --
>
> Bernd Lentes
> SystemAdministrator
> Institute of Metabolism and Cell Death
> Helmholtz Zentrum München
> Building 25 office 122
> Bernd.lentes@helmholtz-munich.de
> +49 89 3187 1241
>
> Helmholtz Zentrum München – Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und
> Umwelt (GmbH)
 Ingolstädter Landstraße 1, D-85764 Neuherberg,