List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: generic/247 triggers warnings occasionally
From:       Dave Chinner <david () fromorbit ! com>
Date:       2015-05-29 22:37:41

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:13:07AM -0400, Brian Foster wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 02:32:14PM +0800, Eryu Guan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've seen generic/247 trigger the following warning occasionally, on
> > 4.1.0-rc5 kernel. And I can reproduce it back on 4.0.0 kernel.
> >
> > [60397.806729] run fstests generic/247 at 2015-05-29 13:19:55
> > [60400.197970] ------------[ cut here ]------------
> > [60400.199285] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 13161 at fs/xfs/xfs_file.c:726 \
> > xfs_file_dio_aio_write+0x176/0x2a8 [xfs]()
> > fs/xfs/xfs_file.c:723
> > 723			ret = invalidate_inode_pages2_range(VFS_I(ip)->i_mapping,
> > 724						pos >> PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT,
> > 725						end >> PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT);
> > 726			WARN_ON_ONCE(ret);
> > 727			ret = 0;
> >
> > It can be reproduced by running generic/247 in loop(usually within 100
> > loops), without any special parameters/options.
> >
> > 	while ./check generic/247; do : ; done
> >
> > Attachments are my xfstests config file and host info requested by
> > http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F
> >

> I reproduce this fairly regularly as well. The test initializes a file
> with buffered writes and then runs a forward direct I/O writer and a
> reverse mmap writer on the file in parallel. IIRC, the issue here is
> basically the mmap writes racing with the flush/invalidate that occurs
> as part of the dio write sequence. (Indeed, a quick test to acquire
> mmaplock around the flush/invalidate in xfs_file_dio_aio_write() seems
> to confirm).
>
> I also vaguely recall some discussion with Dave around why we don't do
> this (perhaps during review of the mmaplock bits). If I recall the
> reasoning there, direct I/O in XFS is designed to allow parallel writes
> to the file and thus the exclusive locks are demoted prior to the write.
> This means the mapped write could still race with the DIO and lead to
> whatever resulting inconsistency is possible now. So assuming my
> understanding is correct there, taking the mmap lock across the
> flush/invalidate just ends up hiding a symptom of a problem that isn't
> really solved.

Pretty much - the page fault just needs to happen at a slightly
different time, and we have the same problem just now it's silent
and we don't know about it. It's a data corruption vector, so I'd
much prefer to be noisy and hear about false positives than be
silent and miss it as the cause of a real corruption..

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner