List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: Anyone using XFS in production on > 20TiB volumes?
From:       Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz () lucidpixels ! com>
Date:       2010-12-23 22:04:58

Hi,

I had not tested with 64KB or 16KB stripes:

I used optimal (default I believe) in newer 2.2+ parted:

        -a alignment-type, --align alignment-type
               Set  alignment  for  newly  created  partitions, valid alignment
               types are:

               none   Use the minimum alignment allowed by the disk type.

               cylinder
                      Align partitions to cylinders.

               minimal
                      Use minimum alignment  as  given  by  the  disk  topology
                      information.  This  and  the  opt  value  will use layout
                      information provided by the disk  to  align  the  logical
                      partition  table  addresses  to actual physical blocks on
                      the disks.  The min value is the minimum aligment  needed
                      to align the partition properly to physical blocks, which
                      avoids performance degradation.

               optimal
                      Use optimum alignment  as  given  by  the  disk  topology
                      information.  This  aligns  to a multiple of the physical
                      block size in a way that guarantees optimal performance.

I'm happy with the performance now.. I get 16GB ram tomorrow so hopefully
that'll be enough if I need to xfs_repair.

Justin.