List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: Anyone using XFS in production on > 20TiB volumes?
From:       Stan Hoeppner <stan () hardwarefreak ! com>
Date:       2010-12-23 19:54:14

Justin Piszcz put forth on 12/23/2010 1:07 PM:

> Main wonder I have is why when the partition is aligned to 1MiB, which is
> the default in parted 2.2+ I believe, is it slower than with no partitions?

Best guess?  Those 3TB Hitachi drives use 512 byte translated native 4KB
sectors.  The 9750-24 ie card doesn't know how to properly align
partitions on such drives, and/or you're using something other than
fdisk or parted to create your partitions.  Currently these are the only
two partitioners that can align partitions properly on 512 byte
translated/native 4KB sector drives.  Thus you're taking a performance
hit, same as with the WD "Advanced Format" drives which have 512 byte
translated/native 4KB sectors.

If you want maximum performance with least configuration headaches,
avoid 512B/4KB sector hybrid drives.  If you _need_ maximum drive
capacity, live with the warts, or jump through hoops to get the
partitions aligned, or, live without partitions if you can.

--
Stan