List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: Anyone using XFS in production on > 20TiB volumes?
From:       Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz () lucidpixels ! com>
Date:       2010-12-23 19:07:13

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Emmanuel Florac wrote:

> Le Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:06:10 -0500 (EST) vous écriviez:
>
>> http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20101223/final.html
>>

> Something's wrong with the file create/stat/delete tests. Did you mount
> with "nobarrier"?
No, default mount options..
Also I just changed it will update the page in a bit, the raid was on
balance mode, with performance, the raid-rewrite went to ~420-430MiB/s, much
faster.

> Which drives, controller firmware, raid level, stripe width?
Hitachi 7K3000 7200RPM 3TB Drives
Latest firmware, 10.2 I think for the 9750-24ie
Raid Level = 6
Stripe width = 256k (default)

> BTW don't run only one test, it's meaningless. I always run at least 8
> cycles (and up to 30 or 40 cycles) and then calculate the average and
> standard deviation, because one test among a cycle may vary wildly for
> some reason. You don't need the "char" tests, that doesn't correspond
> to any real-life usage pattern. Better run bonnie with the -f option,
> and -x with some large enough value.

I ran 3 tests and took the average of the 3 runs per each unit test.
I use this test because I have been using it for 3-4+ years so I can compare
apples to apples.

If its +++ or blank in the HTML that means it ran too fast for it to measure
I believe.

Main wonder I have is why when the partition is aligned to 1MiB, which is
the default in parted 2.2+ I believe, is it slower than with no partitions?

I will try again with mode=performance on the RAID controller..