List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: Anyone using XFS in production on > 20TiB volumes?
From:       Eric Sandeen <sandeen () sandeen ! net>
Date:       2010-12-22 19:03:13

On 12/22/10 10:56 AM, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Le Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:30:05 -0500 (EST)
> Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com> écrivait:
>
>> Is there anyone currently using this in production?
>
> Yup, lots of people do. Currently supporting 28 such systems (from 20
> to 76 TiB, most are 39.7 TiB).
>
>> How much ram is needed when you fsck with a many files on such a
>> volume? Dave Chinner reported 5.5g or so is needed for ~43TB with no
>> inodes. Any recent issues/bugs one needs to be aware of?
>
> I never had any trouble running xfs_repair on 39.7 TB+ systems with 8 GB
> of RAM.
>
>> Is inode64 recommended on a 64-bit system?
>
> Sure, however 32 bits clients may scoff sometimes, though it's limited
> to some weird programs.
>
>> Any specific 64-bit tweaks/etc for a large 43TiB FS?
>>

> Nothing unusual (inode64,noatime, mkfs with lazy-count enabled, etc). It
> should just works.

yes, inode64 is recommended for such a large filesystem; lazy-count
has been default in mkfs for quite some time.  noatime if you really
need it, I guess.

See also

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_I_want_to_tune_my_XFS_filesystems_for_.3Csomething.3E

which mentions getting your geometry right if it's hardware raid
that can't be detected automatically.

(maybe we should add inode64 usecases to that too...)

-Eric