List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: need help to repair XFS partition
From:       "Gergely Soos" <sogerc1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-06 23:26:11

I want to thank everybody for the help, especially for Eric.
The solution was:
fdisk /dev/hdd
then go to expert mode (x)
print the partition table (p)
move the beginning of the partition (b) - where I increased the start number
by 63
write to disk and exit (w)
Reboot and everything is fine.
I'm so happy :)

Gergely

PS: I made a typo in my previous letter. Instead of 5132575420 I should have
written 5132574720 in case anybody wonders...

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:54:52AM +0200, Gergely Soos wrote:
> > Unfortunately it's not that simple. Actually that HDD has two partitions
> and
> > hdd2 is physically before hdd1 (they are reversed in the partition
> table),
> > so I absolutely need to move the start of the partition to the address
> which
> > is 63 sectors more than it is now.
> > Currently it starts at absolute byte position 5132575420 and it should
> start
> > at 5132606976.
> > Do you know what program is capable of doing this? I looked for MBR
> > documentation and in the partition table it is stored in CHS format
> > so it would be really hard (at least for me) to do it by hand.
>
> If you want to mount the partitions once you can creat a loop device
> ontop of you disk device and use the -o option, e.g.
>

> losetup -o 5132606976 /dev/loop0 /dev/hdd1
>
> and then mount /dev/loop0.  But that's not really something I'd want
> to use for a longer time..

[[HTML alternate version deleted]]