Gergely Soos wrote: > Greetings > > I heard that people compliment XFS for being the fastest FS these days > so I thought I give it a try. > What I did was that I converted my old 107GB FAT32 partition to XFS (I > created an XFS over it) and I wanted to use it as /home > Everything went as it should, I moved the files from my old /home then I > restarted (cleanly!) under windows. > When I got back from windows I was no longer able to mount the XFS > partition. Which partition was it? I wonder if a gpt label got re-written over it or something. > xfs_repair only said that the superblock is invalid and attempts to find > secondary superblocks but all candidates fail. > So I created a file on another computer with the exact same size as the > partition on my computer and created an XFS on it. > Then I extracted the first 512 bytes and copied to my HDD using dd. But > it complained about the UUID so I corrected it using khexedit. Did you keep the original first 512 bytes? It would be worth looking at; try hexdump -C on it (the original) and send that if you have it. > Then xfs_db complained that it cannot find the root inode so I wrote a > little perl script to search it. > You can find it in myxfs.tar.bz2. It seems that it found the root inode > because after I corrected the address using khexedit > xfs_db started complaining about the realtime bitmap inodes, so I > corrected those too (using inode numbers rootino+1 and rootino+2). > And this is where I'm stuck. > The mount still fails, dmesg says that it cannot find the root inode, > xfs_repair says the same old thing, xfs_check says a lot of things, > most of them are messages like this: can't seek in filesystem at bb > or: ag bad magick number. > That exceeds my knowledge. > Please help me restore the partition, It contains lots of programmes I > wrote over the years and some of them are not backed up, > some of them are, but only an older version. I also have personal stuff > on it like my bill records that I cannot recover from anywhere else. > myxfs.tar.bz2 contains the perl script I mentioned above and the inodes > it found. The one staring with ri is the root inode, > the files starting with sb are the suspected superblocks (I also took > one of those at random and corrected the three inode numbers > with khexedit but the result is the same) and the file backup_bootsect > contains the original superblock that was on the disk after I came back > from windows xp. It does not look like anything to me... > The numbers after ri and sb are the starting address in bytes of the > inode on the disk. > I would also attach the output of xfs_metadump which I created after I > corrected the three inode numbers in the superblock but even bzip-ed > it is more than 3MB and the administrator of this list does not accept it. As Chris suggested, I would find a spare 100G somewhere and make a dd image now, so you have something to experiment with + a backup if things go wrong. It sounds like something under windows clobbered your filesystem, I guess, unless it's the gpt thing I mentioned, it's very strange. -Eric _______________________________________________ xfs mailing list xfs@oss.sgi.com http://oss.sgi.com/mailman/listinfo/xfs