List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: massively truncated files with XFS with sudden power loss on
From:       Russell Cattelan <cattelan () thebarn ! com>
Date:       2008-12-29 20:09:33

Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:09:18PM -0600, Russell Cattelan wrote:
>

>> The question that I have is regards to kde apps.
>>

> i just did a quick strace of something, i see it do:
>

> open newfile
> write data
> close file
> rename newfile over oldfile
>
> no fsync before close...

Hmm that is worse than truncate to 0, since now we have a new file vs
one that has been truncated.
But really same net result.
Still why is the file size making it to disk before the data and more
importantly the extent transaction to the log?
 that should have been fixed.

> this will bite xfs more than ext3 w/ ordered mode

Delayed allocation is a factor (and this will be true of any fs
supporting delayed allocation)
holding of data flushes helps reduce fragmentation by allowing larger
segments to be flushed out,
but it increases the time data is held in cache and thus create a larger
window for data loss.

-Russell