List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    How to damage a XFS-Filesystem?
From:       Carsten Aulbert <carsten () welcomes-you ! com>
Date:       2008-01-02 13:16:27

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

A file server with a 10 TB large xfs file system running on a RAID6 SATA
array, the server has 16 GB of memory. I want to test how long it would
take to run xfs_repair on it and if the amount of memory is enough for that.

Thus I think I would need to:

(1) Fill the disk with files
(2) Damage the file sytem
(3) Run xfs_repair

My questions:

(1) Is there a nice tool which fills up a disk? I.e. I want to write
files with varying size and want to be able to check the validity
(md5,sha1...) of the files before and after the damage. I don't know if
it matters, but the number of entries per directory should also vary
greatly ;)

(2) I don't know if xfs_repair cares if the file system was damaged or
not. If it uses the same amount of time and memory on a fully intact
file system, I guess I don't have a question anymore. Otherwise: How can
a damage a xfs file system to make the job harder for xfs_repair. I
guess a simple dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdb1 with some offsets will not
be very effective, right?

(3) Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks for your patience (and yes, I have tried the archives for answers)

Cheers

Carsten