List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: Why problems with mount and strace
From:       Eric Sandeen <sandeen () sgi ! com>
Date:       2004-04-26 17:13:25

I came across this again, and I have an answer for you... at least
relating to today's code.

xfs mount tries to start linvfs_xfs_syncd, which invokes a
kernel_thread(), which contains this code:

         /* lock out any potential ptracer */
         task_lock(task);
         if (task->ptrace) {
                 task_unlock(task);
                 return -EPERM;
         }

for security reasons... in short, when stracing, linvfs_xfs_syncd() fails,
and hence the mount fails.

-Eric

--
Eric Sandeen      [C]XFS for Linux   http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs