List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: Dmapi questions
From:       Chris Wedgwood <cw () f00f ! org>
Date:       2004-02-02 23:54:20

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:15:56AM -0600, Dean Roehrich wrote:

> You won't like it.  Unix-based filesystems don't provide anything
> special for translating an inode into a filename; you just have to
> search the filesystem for the inode--and then you know the filename.

Under Linux you could walk the dentries and get a usable path at the
VFS layer.  There is already code that does this.

In fact, I was considering various ways to do something like dnotify
that would give full path information via a magic network socket or
something (exactly how it should work is still unclear to me,
different permissions along the path might mean you aren't entitled to
events you would otherwise get).

  --cw