List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: xfs_force_shutdown problem
From:       Eric Sandeen <sandeen () sgi ! com>
Date:       2002-04-30 21:12:20

Hi Ravi -

The shutdown / in-memory corruption essentially means that something
stomped on an in-memory structure, and when this was detected, the
filesystem shut down.  In the past, we have seen LVM+XFS cause stack
overflows, which could maybe cause this, but would more likely oops.

In general, these are pretty hard to debug. :(

What version of LVM are you using?

The output of xfs_repair might also be helpful. (I think force_shutdown
causes a dirty log; you'd need to mount the filesystem to replay the log
first, _then_ run xfs_repair to see if there are problems.  xfs_repair
on a dirty log will generate lots of errors and generally should not be
done - see the -L option).

-Eric

sandeen@sgi.com   SGI, Inc.