List:       linux-wpan
Subject:    RE: Bluetooth 6lowpan ping6 slab corruption
From:       "Wong, Joshua Weng Onn" <joshua.weng.onn.wong () intel ! com>
Date:       2016-12-21 23:38:52

Hi Alex,

> > Hi,
> >
> > On 12/16/2016 09:18 AM, Wong, Joshua Weng Onn wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you for informing me about this. Sorry as I was not aware of
> > > the newer
> > patches that you submitted to mainline.
> > > At the moment I am not able to upgrade the kernel to a recent
> > > version as the
> > other teams in my department are using kernel version 4.1.27 and I
> > have to follow it strictly.
> > >
> > > I just got an idea. Perhaps what I can do is backport the patches
> > > and apply
> > them to this version of the kernel. I am not sure if it will work
> > entirely. I'll discuss this with my lead first if he wants me to do
> > this and let you know if I am pursuing this.
> > >

> > You can backport it, yes... but please _please_ don't do it... bring
> > it mainline and then backport it.
> >
> > Tell that your lead as suggestion from me.
> >
> > It makes no sense that you backporting it only for you. This thing
> > need to be fixed upstream...
> >
> > In my opinion, all people who backporting it will do work for nothing...
> > The next guy/girl which wants to try that out runs again into such issues.
> >
> > These patches was sending to bluetooth-next, now I am busy with other
> > things and can work on it at end of April maybe... and I think only in
> > my free-time. This patch-series just needs a little cleanup and send as PATCH...
> >
> > - Alex
>
> I've finally just learned how to add inline '>' characters to the previous email.
> Had to make some changes in my email settings.
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
> Ok noted on that. My most sincere apologies as I am quite new to this and I am
> still trying to understand how open source works. Didn't realize that it will cause
> repetitive work for others.
>
> I will discuss this with my technical lead and update you along the way.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best regards,
> Joshua

I have discussed this with my technical lead and that he mentioned that we will not \
be able to pursue to bring it to Linux mainline and also not able to backport the \
drivers due to resource limitation. We have pending tasks/projects that are upcoming.

Just curious, can we know the estimated timeline that it will take for an \
inexperienced person in Linux kernel development to complete this task?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Joshua