List:       linux-wlan-user
Subject:    RE: [lwlan-user] Re: This private wlan-user email-list vs a newsgroup
From:       "David Cook" <DavidHCook () comcast ! net>
Date:       2004-07-29 0:53:06

Most of what you said was true.

But, you are missing the key difference.
Go into Google and try to display any msg in a search, by
specifying 'gmane.linux.linux-wlan.user' as an
explicit newsgroup to be searched, and NOTHING ever
gets found.  THat's because 'gmane.linux.linux-wlan.user'
is private, and thus it does NOT get indexed by google.

When one 'googles', one normally does NOT specify any
specific newsgroup, thus ALL public newsgroups get searched.
By, because 'gmane.linux.linux-wlan.user' is not one of those
newsgroups, google is blind to our list.  That's the problem
that would be remedied if it were to become a public group.

The behavior that the world (and me) would get benefit from
is that when they were searching 'all groups' (which include
groups like 'alt.internet.wireless'), they would ALSO get hits
into 'gmane.linux.linux-wlan.user', if only it were public.
But, it is 'behind the curtain' and doesn't get considered
in a search.

Do you see the point?