List:       linux-wlan-user
Subject:    Re: [lwlan-user] Re: host interface types
From:       Jeff Macfarland <j.macfar () verizon ! net>
Date:       2004-07-28 22:04:54

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 03:20:21PM -0400, David Cook wrote:
> |
> | Thanks, that's exactly the extra detail I was looking for.
> |
> | Yes, I notice a little door on my wife's 2-year-old laptop
> | and there is place to plug two credit-card-sized devices,
> | one over the other.
> | I'll bet you are saying that one of them is 'cardbus' and
> | the other is 'PCMCIA', right?
>
> No.  Physically PCMCIA (aka "PC Card") and Cardbus are the same.  You
> can plug a cardbus card into a pcmcia slot.  However, because it is
> not compatible, the system won't recognize the card at all.  The
> hardware in newer (4+ years) laptops will recognize the 16-bit card
> and adjust themselves to operate according to that spec.

According to http://www.pcmcia.org/press.htm#Sept97 under "Cardbus Defined":

However, CardBus PC Cards cannot be used in systems that lack CardBus
slots. CardBus PC Cards employ a special keying mechanism, which
prevents insertion in systems with slots that only support 16-bit PC Cards.

--

PGP Key ID: 0xF124F469
Keyserver:  ldap://keyserver.pgp.com