List:       linux-wlan-user
Subject:    [lwlan-user] WEP issue
From:       Michael Anburaj <embeddedneteng () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-07-25 17:54:06

Hi,

I run the “wlan-ng: 0.2.1-pre14” driver on my MIPS
platform with modified kernel that calls the driver
APIs directly. It worked fine without WEP.

Setup #1: without WEP

 --------                               -------------
| MIPS   |------                -------|  PC windows |
|wlan-ng |MA311 |              | MA401 |             |
|without |      |              |       | without WEP |
|WEP     |------                -------|             |
 --------                               -------------

In AD-HOC mode, without WEP, the MA311 with wlan-ng
driver can connect with the MA401 with windows driver
& exchange IP packets back & forth.

Since it is a modified kernel, the wlan-ng APIs are
called directly from the layer above.

Pseudo code:

1. Driver get initialized
2. Prism2sta_ifstate gets called with ifstate_enable
3. Prism2mgmt_start gets called with
p80211msg_dot11req_start_t data structure with all the
necessary info. & bsstype.data = #Independent

4. Each time an IP packet needs to be sent out
p80211knetdev_hard_start_xmit is called with the skb
that contains the IP packet.

Setup #2: same setup with WEP enabled:

--------                               -------------
| MIPS   |------                -------|  PC windows |
|wlan-ng |MA311 |              | MA401 |             |
|with    |      |              |       | with    WEP |
|WEP     |------                -------|             |
 --------                               -------------

In AD-HOC mode, with WEP, the MA311 with wlan-ng
driver can connect with the MA401 <even if the keys
are different it connects> with windows driver, but
cannot exchange IP packets even if the keys match on
both sides.

On the windows driver side:
64 bit wep, 10 digit hex – ddddffff00
default Tx Key: 1 <possible values 1,2,3,4>

Since it is a modified kernel, the wlan-ng APIs are
called directly from the layer above.

Pseudo code:
1. Driver get initialized
2. WEP setup:
p80211pstr6_t wep;
wep.len=5;
wep.data[0]=0xdd; wep.data[1]=0xdd; wep.data[2]=0xff;
wep.data[3]=0xff; wep.data[4]=0x00;

wlandev->hostwep =
HOSTWEP_PRIVACYINVOKED|HOSTWEP_EXCLUDEUNENCRYPTED|
HOSTWEP_ENCRYPTED|HOSTWEP_DECRYPED;

wep_change_key(wlandev, 0, wep.data, 5);
prism2mib_wepdefaultkey(wlandev->priv, &wep,
HFA384x_RID_CNFWEPDEFAULTKEY0);

2. Prism2sta_ifstate gets called with ifstate_enable
3. Prism2mgmt_start gets called with
p80211msg_dot11req_start_t data structure with all the
necessary info. & bsstype.data = #Independent

4. Each time a IP packet needs to be sent out
p80211knetdev_hard_start_xmit is called with the skb
that contains the IP packet.

With this setup, after prism2mgmt_start is called
Info. interrupt gets generated with line status
(0xf200) as CONNECTED <similar to setup #1>. Then when
the 1st IP packet gets sent out I don’t see it on the
other end (windows PC) on ethereal. But, after a while
an Info. interrupt get generated periodically with
Tallies (0xf100). Tally info. interrupts info for the
1st 3 times is included at the bottom of this email.

Please let me know if I missed something here. Or help
me debug this issue with debug procedure.

Thanks a lot,
-Mike.

DEBUG: Hfa384x_interrupt: Info
DEBUG: Info type = 0xf100