List:       linux-wlan-user
Subject:    [lwlan-user] sharedkey support for authentication to AP?
From:       Christian Lambert <clambert () sgi ! com>
Date:       2002-05-29 23:42:22

Hi,

I use the netgear ME102 (which is based on atmel firmware) so the
same as WAP11.   Right now I have the auth type set to "both" and I
have WEP enabled.   It works fine using the linksys WPC11v3 with
wep enabled in the prism2_cs driver, but if I set the authtype to
"shared key" it doesn't work.

>From what I understand, WEP can be used for encrypting the data but
also for signing up with the AP originally.  So I'm not sure if by
putting "both" as authtype in my AP that I'm opening up access to
everyone, and optionally use WEP?

Right now it looks like it's using WEP for traffic, but does the driver
supports the "shared-key" mode for authentication or it's done automatically?

I did not find under windows under the linksys control panel where I
could set the shared key algorithm for authentication, but maybe I overlooked.

Right now, I think WEP is enabled and working, because if I enter the wrong
wep key, I don't get access to my network, and also if I don't use wep, it
will connect, but not talk on the network.

Here is a reference about the shared key authentication algorithm, I would
like to be able to know more about what the setting means in the AP and
also if there is a setting in the driver for that.

http://www.proxim.com/support/all/harmony/technotes/tn2001-08-10c.html

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_encrypt.htm#WEP_method

Thanks