List:       linux-wlan-user
Subject:    [lwlan-user]: WLAN driver and Harris Eval PRISM cards
From:       linux-wlan-user () absoval ! com (Mark S !  Mathews)
Date:       1999-05-26 1:23:02

Sure it is!  It's actually the default.  When you fire up the first
station, the wlan driver scans for a network with the given SSID (from
wlan.opts).  If a network isn't found and CREATEBSS=yes, then the wlan
script directs the driver to create an Independent Basic Service Set
(IBSS).  Subsequent stations will detect and join the IBSS created by the
first.

-Mark

PS: I checked for the bug I thought might be causing the problem with your
system.  It isn't.  Send me your /var/log/messages,
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts, /etc/pcmcia/wlan, and /etc/pcmcia/wlan.opts files
from the machine where you get the failure.  We'll see if we can resolve
your problem.

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Patrick O'Malley wrote:

>   By the statement below, am I correct in assuming that peer-to-peer
> isn't supported? No talking between two laptops?
>
>   Patrick O'Malley
>

> "Mark S. Mathews" wrote:
> >
> > You need to go into the AP config and set 'standard=off'.  That changes
> > the ethernet conversion type to 'encapsulation' which is all the
> > linux-wlan driver supports right now.  The next version will include the
> > other conversion types.

> > > Nokia/InTalk. It's relatively small, I don't know if there are many
> > > models. I'll be able to say more later.
> > >
> > > - jma
> > >
> > > --
> > > Joonas Mäkinen   <jma@one.sci.fi>

> For more information about this list see:
> http://www.absoval.com/linux-wlan/lists.html

Mark S. Mathews

AbsoluteValue Software     Web:    http://www.absoval.com
P.O. Box 941149            e-mail: mark@absoval.com
Maitland, FL 32794-1149    Phone:  407.644.8582
USA                        Fax:    407.539.1294