List:       linux-wlan-devel
Subject:    Re: [lwlan-devel] extra wext functions to work with NetworkManager
From:       "Tormod Volden" <lists.tormod () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-28 23:15:43

On 1/28/07, richard <richard@rsk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > NetworkManager: <WARNING>^I nm_device_802_11_wireless_get_essid ():
> > error getting ESSID for device wlan0: Bad address
> > - this seems harmless, I can mail you full logs if you want
> >
> I've not seen these before so yes please send me your logs and I'll have
> a look.

Hi,
OK, I'll send them off-list.

> > 2. My own (connected) network shows up in the NM applet network list
> > with an empty bar / zero signal strength (although the tool-tip shows
> > 92%)
>
> I think you're missing the patch to tell wext that the stats are in DBM.
> Look at /proc/net/wireless or iwconfig to check. On my card the stats
> from /proc/net/wireless are
> Quality  90 signal -58 noise -95

Yes, my version is based on an older svn version. I'll try that patch later.
$ cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 21
 wlan0: 0000   87.  199.  164.       0      0      0      0      0        0

> Does your AP hide the essid?
> NetworkManger seems to expect networks with a hidden essid to be in the
> scan results list with just their bssid visible, which it uses to match
> against. As far as I can tell the prism2 scan just ignores hidden
> networks so I don't think there's much we can do about it.

Yes, exactly, the essid is hidden. Maybe somebody can change the prism2 scan? :)

Thanks,
Tormod