List:       linux-wlan-devel
Subject:    Re: [lwlan-devel] change MAC address
From:       Andreas Beck <becka () uni-duesseldorf ! de>
Date:       2004-03-27 9:37:59

> > I wonder if it is possible to change the MAC address of prism chipset
> Sorry, I don't know if it is possible within the driver itself, but I
> have successfully "changed" the mac address with changemac
> (http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/~azdaja/changemac.html)

Hmm - don't know for the wlan-ng drivers, but the orinoco_cs driver
changed MAC just fine yesterday when I did some penetration testing.

I just issued

ifconfig eth1 down
ifconfig eth1 hw ether 12:34:56:78:90:12
ifconfig eth1 up
pump -i eth1

and I was back up again with the AP giving a new IP to MAC
12:34:56:78:90:12.

BTW: WEP128 key was recovered after 4 hours of logging the busy net.
And still some people believe it's secure ...

CU, Andy