List:       linux-wlan-devel
Subject:    [lwlan-devel] writing a new wifi driver
From:       bruno schwander <bruno () tinkerbox ! org>
Date:       2002-10-25 18:45:43

Hi everybody,

I have a client who wants a Linux driver for a wireless adapter, and a
search drew me to this list...

Is the linux-wlan project mature enough to base a (possibly) commercial
driver on it ?

Is there any licensing problems that could be anticipated ? Please
understand that coming from the BSD world (do whatever you want with the
code) I am not too familiar with GPL, MPL, LGPL, etc. But I need to know
if it is possible for the client to retain all sources if he so desires.

I am relatively new to wireless and Linux, but not to Unix, device drivers
and networking (I wrote a few drivers for FreeBSD a while ago) so I expect
to be productive rapidly.

What would be a conservative estimate of the time needed for one person,
to write a reasonably full featured wireless adapter driver ? I expect
that using the linux-wlan framework would shorten development time
notably.

I will appreciate any input regarding this, I think it would be good for
the community if I can come up with a proposal for this client and get
another linux driver done. And I would like to gain the experience too...

Bruno