List:       linux-wireless
Subject:    Re: AP mode with Broadcom 4330
From:       Arend van Spriel <arend.vanspriel () broadcom ! com>
Date:       2017-07-31 20:28:50

On 31-07-17 14:59, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 09:50:21PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
>> I was going to agree with you, but having second thoughts. There are
>> actually two use-cases that need to be handled properly. The regular AP
>> case and the MBSS case. In case of MBSS the initial AP interface will
>> have mbss set to false and subsequent AP interfaces will have mbss set
>> to true, but in firmware this has to be configured inverted. That is
>> what the code above is doing. However, this indeed breaks the regular AP
>> case for firmwares that abuse that setting for testing purposes (no idea
>> why that is in a released firmware).
>
> Maybe detect the BCRM_TEST_SSID string in the firmware file (as it's
> broken up amongst other data, it's not trivial) and disable mbss for
> such firmware?  Alternatively, maybe blacklist mbss for some firmware
> versions?

Well. It seem 43362 chip also had this and we disabled mbss for that
chipset. So we may do that for 4330 as well.

> Do the firmware versions that include this "abuse" actually have
> functional mbss?

Digging through our internal bug database I found a remark that
BRCM_TEST_SSID showing up means mbss is not functional.

> There's also the obvious question: which firmware is recommended for
> the 4330?

We tend to rely on what is released to AOSP as our team does not have
the bandwidth to go through the release process. I checked and it is
still the same so matches what is in linux-firmware.

Regards,
Arend