List:       linux-vortex
Subject:    Re: Dead cards, need jump start
From:       John Lellis <lellis () igate ! dmccorp ! com>
Date:       1997-02-11 14:17:00

> I bought a pair of the 3C905 cards to utilize between a Linux box and
> a Win95 box (no hub).  Using the latest driver and kernel 2.0.27, I
> find that the bootup messages indicate that the card has been
> correctly identified, except that the auto media selection has
> apparently failed.  The cable connecting the two RJ45 ports is rated
> for Cat 5, but again, there isn't a hub.  I'm not surprised later when
> cross pinging doesn't work.
>
> If I setup both systems as Win95, I get the drivers loaded OK (?)
> (checking under control panel-networking, netstat program gives no
> network info), but pinging the other system still doesn't work.  If I
> boot both systems from a 6.21 MSDOS disk (without other drivers) and
> try the self tests, the loopbacks work perfectly, but echo servers
> don't work at all.  I get leds flashing during the loopback tests, but
> that's the only time leds are on.  Forcing the media select in the
> same DOS program doesn't seem to help.
>
> I used to run a pair of SMC Ultra cards without any problems between
> these systems, on thinnet cables, so I tend to think that the software
> should be setup correctly.  Both winipcfg and ifconfig report the
> correct IP addresses and hardware addresses.
>
> Am I incorrect in assuming that I don't need a hub?  I only need one
> fast link in my LAN, everything else can run on the Ultras, so I don't
> want a hub.
>
> I would post error messages, but I'm still in the .95 OS at the
> moment...
>
> Perplexed...and wondering if I should return the cards...

Are you using a crossover cable between the nodes?  A normal Cat 5 cable
connects only from hub to node.  To go node to node, you need a cable which
has the Tx(1,2) and Rx(3,6) signals switched (akin to a null modem cable):

          (left)                                  (right)
        1 [--- white-blue         <-->             ---] 1 white-orange
        2 [--- blue-white         <-->             ---] 2 orange-white
        3 [--- white-orange       <-->             ---] 3 white-blue
        4 [---                    <-->             ---] 4
        6 [--- orange-white       <-->             ---] 6 blue-white

If it doesn't work with the two cards cross-connected like that, then one or
another of the cards probably *is* dead.

--

     John C. Lellis                                  E-Mail: lellis@dmccorp.com
     Senior Staff Engineer                           Phone : (713) 313-5068

    "Whatever it takes ... now!"