List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] Interoperability, 2.4-recent?
From:       Ben Greear <greearb () candelatech ! com>
Date:       2000-12-29 1:30:10

Craig Metz wrote:

>   FYI, I've been able to use the 2.2 VLAN patches with my Extreme Networks
> Summit 48i, 5i, and Alpine 3804(SMMi,F32Ti) switches and my DFE-570TX quad-
> 21143 NIC. So far, no interoperability issues. For the FAQ, if anyone wants to
> update it, an Extreme configuration example:
>
>   create vlan v42
>   config vlan v42 tag 42
>   config vlan v42 add port 10 tagged
>
>   ... will create a vlan named v42, whose 802.1Q tag is 42, and connect port
> 10 (tag 42) to that vlan.

I'll add those this weekend.

>   Are there patches coming any time soon for more recent 2.4 kernels? The
> current patches against 2.4.0-test9 don't go into 2.4.0-test12 cleanly, and
> after a small amount of effort I wasn't able to fix the patch problems and get
> a working kernel -- several things have changed in ways that aren't immediately
> obvious.

I have 4 days of vacation this weekend, and I'm hoping to be able to use
some of it to port to the new kernels.  They did something to the 2.4 line
that did away with some static protocol registration stuff.  I will have
to figure out how to register the VLAN protocol now....

I think the 2.2.18 port will be very easy...mainly just a patch problem there.

Ben

>                                                                         -Craig

Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)
http://scry.wanfear.com               http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear