List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    [VLAN] Compiling problems
From:       Faber Fedor <faberfedor () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-12-14 18:59:42

Hey guys!

I'm finally back playing with vlans!  As a followup to my last message of a few
months ago, the vlan stuff works just find with Samba and Windows' browsing
technology.

Now, however, I've got a new question: has anyone compiled the 0.0.14 code on
Sslackware 7.1.0 using the 2.2.17 kernel code?  I'm getting an error message
of:

In file included from vlan.c:31:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_vlan.h:81: warning: `struct vlan_dev_info'
declared inside parameter list
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_vlan.h:81: warning: its scope is only this
definition or declaration,
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_vlan.h:81: warning: which is probably not what
you want.

followed by a bunch of other errors about "vlan_dev" not being a member of a
structure.  I've looked atthe code, but all I can see is that vlan_dev_info is
used in a parm list on line 81 ofthe header file before it's actually declared
much further down the file.  I forget if that's allowed or not.

Something else that might matter here: I applied the patch and went to run
'make xconfig'.  Well, that bombed, so I ran 'make menuconfig', but I couldn't
find the vlan stuff in there.  So, I just edited the .config file and put in
the line "CONFIG_VLAN_801_1Q=y" in there and compiled.  Is that ok to do?

TIA!

=====
Sincerely,

Faber Fedor
LinuxNJ.com - Linux and Open Source solutions for New Jersey

http://www.linuxnj.com