List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    [VLAN] Re: VLAN for IP Masquerading?
From:       Ben Greear <greearb () candelatech ! com>
Date:       2000-10-28 18:12:02

Adam Bellaire wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't want to waste your time, but I want to find out
> if this is at least possible before I get myself into
> trouble by trying it...
>
> Suppose one has a linux machine with two (physical) ethernet
> interfaces, eth0 which is connected to an ADSL modem, and
> eth1 which is connected to a hub (not switch) and thus to
> several other machines.
>
> These other machines access the internet using the linux
> box as a masquerading gateway, with net bound traffic
> going over both of the linux box's interfaces (in on eth1,
> out on eth0).
>
> Anyway, is it possible, supposing my modem supports connection
> to a hub, to connect the modem to the hub, then use two VLAN
> devices on one of the physical cards, such that one VLAN
> interface only talks to the modem, and the other VLAN interface
> only talks to the other machines? And hopefully that the
> modem won't be bothered by the other machines talking
> on its hub?
>
> Any help you can give me would be appreciated. If this
> is possible, then that's a PCI slot and an ethernet card
> I've got freed up. :) I somewhat suspect though that the
> limiting factor is going to be the modem's behavior.

I think that would work w/out any problem, and I doubt that the
modem would have any problem with it.  Make sure you do not turn
on IP on the raw ethernet interfaces for any of your
NAT'd devices (ie the other PCs on the hub), or any security
through NAT will be shot to hell.

--
Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)