List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] New features (comments please!)
From:       Ben Greear <greearb () candelatech ! com>
Date:       2000-04-23 21:46:43

Peter Stuge wrote:

> >2)  Took out my hack at channel bonding.  The VLAN code will always
> >       attempt to transmit out of the FIRST port bound to it.  When
> >       you create a VLAN on a device, that is the first port.  If you
> >       add other ports, then the VLAN will ACCEPT pkts from those other
> >       devices.  It should NOT accept pkts from ports not added to it.
> Here I must say I agree with Patrick, having separate VLANs on separate
> interfaces, the way I see it, is a must..  I haven't read the standard though.
> It seems to me that assuming all interfaces in the system that are connected
> to a 802.1Q Ethernet are connected to the SAME 802.1Q Ethernet is a Bad
> Thing(tm).  Admittedly though, I hadn't considered this before Patrick
> mentioned it.

The behavior can be dynamically changed at run-time now, so you can have
it both ways :)  The spec implies only 4095 per device, but it is written
for the switch vendors, so I think that supporting both modes is useful,
and correct, for end (or layer-3) devices, at least.

> >3)  By popular demand, I now allow the naming to be:  eth0.0005
> >       It will default to vlan0005, so you'll need to edit vlan.h
> >       to make it like eth0.0005
> >       I should probably make it a compile-time check in the xconfig GUI,
> >       someday.
> Hm. I don't mind the ability to set the names myself, but it might be good to
> always stick something in front of it to ensure uniqueness and also make them
> a bit more descriptive.  However, there might be some reason to follow a
> special naming scheme set by higher instances, ie. linux-net..

Linux-net has been quiet..I posed the question and got no answers...yet.

> In the case where eth0 VLAN 10 != ethx VLAN 10 the name vlanxxxx wouldn't be
> very useful..

Gack, that will actually be a nasty bug.  I forgot to protect against that.
If you do want to have vlan-groups-per-interface, then please change the
naming to ethX.Y!!  I'll put some protection in the kernel for that next
time I patch things...

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll give the set-through-proc stuff
a try for the next patch...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)