List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    Re: [VLAN] MTU problems summary ?
From:       skaya () enix ! org
Date:       2001-12-06 11:22:32

>>   so if on a given hardware, port X is in VLAN V
>>   "tagged" and port Y in also in VLAN V but
>>   "untagged", operation will be seamless (i.e., no
>>   need to reduce MTU on neither hosts connected
>>   to X and Y)

> You lost me... Ehhh?

sorry, I just mean : a VLAN-capable switch will
be able to interoperate between a tagged-capable
host and a not-tagged-capable host, without forcing
them to change their MTU.

now, suppose I have a setup where tagged traffic
has to go thru a non-VLAN-aware switch.
will the switch drop the "fullsize" tagged frames,
which are 1500+4+14 bytes, thinking they are
incorrect frames ? I can't sort out what the
ethernet spec has to say about that.

regards,
Jerome Petazzoni <skaya@enix.org>