List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    [VLAN] Port Map Control Element in Static Filtering Entries
From:       "RaviKumar  SivaSankar" <raviks74 () rediffmail ! com>
Date:       2001-10-16 5:52:01

Hi,

I have a doubt in IEEE 802.1Q standard. I will greatly appreciate your efforts,
if you can spent a little of your precious time on this.

The section 8.11.1.c of IEEE 802.1Q standard mentions that for each Static
Filtering Entry, there is a port map which specifies for each outbound port
whether
  1) Static information is to be used to forward/filter
     the frame, independent of any dynamic entries
        or
  2) Dynamic filtering information is to be used to
     forward/filter the frame
        or
  3) If no dynamic information is present, then default
     Group filtering behaviour is to be used.

This is in sync with the Table 8.5.

As per my understanding, the Static Filtering entries (if any) should be
consulted first. The Static entry should have a flag which specifies whether
Static entry or Dynamic entry should be used. If the flag specifies
"Use Static Only", the forwarding/filtering decision should be taken using
the Static entry alone. Otherwise, Dynamic information should be used.

The table "dot1qStaticUnicastTable" in the MIB (RFC 2674) has an object
"dot1qStaticUnicastAllowedToGoTo". This object holds a list of ports, on which
a frame with Unicast destination is to be flooded, if that Mac address is not
dynamically learnt. This results in performing a LookUp in Dynamic Table for the
Unicast Mac address first. If there is no such entry, then StaticUnicast Table should be used.

How does the MIB address the fact, that there should be control information in
the Static Filtering Entry which specifies whether to use Dynamic or Static
Filtering information (the one with the Flag, that I have mentioned earlier).

Should this flag be added as a proprietary object? Or is this implicitly specified in the Mib?

With Warm Regards,
Ravi Kumar.