List:       linux-virtual-server
Subject:    sync_threshold question
From:       "Sebastian Vieira" <sebvieira () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-20 9:09:37

Hi,

I've noticed that upon a failover, not all connections are sync'd (via
syncdaemons) to the backup director. I read in the docs for ultramonkey (not
using it ... i think ... but that was the only source i could find)
something about /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/sync_threshold and how to manipulate
this. If i understand things correctly, sync_threshold has 2 values. By
default they are 3 and 50, meaning that after 3 packets the connection will
be initially synchronised. After that, each 50 sent packets will cause the
connection to be synchronised. That is, if i understand it correctly :)

Now i recall reading somewhere that there is a certain timeout involved. I
mean that if no packets are sent for a certain time, the connection will not
be synchronised. I don't know if this is true, but this could be the reason
for the problem i described above. If not, what else could be the reason
then? In my test there were only 5 telnet sessions connected, so nothing
special.

These commands i have issued to start the daemons:

master# ipvsadm --start-daemon master --mcast-interface=eth1 --syncid 55
master# ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --mcast-interface=eth1 --syncid 56

backup# ipvsadm --start-daemon master --mcast-interface=eth1 --syncid 56
backup# ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --mcast-interface=eth1 --syncid 55

Kind regards,

Sebastian