List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: [V4L] New capture core - testers/developers wanted!
From:       Eugene Kuznetsov <divx () euro ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-05 14:07:51

Hello Justin,

JS> Hi everybody,

JS> After many comments/complaints about my existing capture engines, I
JS> finally sat down and wrote a new one.  After two evenings of furious
JS> coding, I have a very alpha program just waiting for a few suckers to
JS> test.  There are a number of problems documented in KNOWN_BUGS (and
JS> probably quite a number that aren't too!).

JS> The capture core features perfect A-V synchronisation, irrespective of
JS> frame drops/video loss, etc.  It also has dynamic time warping of the
JS> audio stream to ensure that EXACTLY the right amount of audio data is
JS> written for the number of video frames (at least averaged over a couple
JS> of frames).  This removes the problem of synch drift over long
JS> recordings (without any clicks/pops).

JS> At the moment it only works for v4l2 and oss, and can produce RTjpeg
JS> encoded QT files (which can be editted with bcast2000), or DivX encoded
JS> AVI files (if your computer is fast enough!).  The DivX files are good
JS> for testing the "smooth" frame dropping (the core tries to drop frames
JS> in an intelligent manner to keep the resulting video as smooth as
JS> possible).

I tried to build it, and now I am a little confused ... I'm using
kernel 2.4.3 with applied v4l2 patch and bttv 0.8.16. First of all,
the program wouldn't build without editing makefile - I had to remove
-Werror flag. Now I managed to compile it, but it fails after the very
first v4l2 ioctl(). I tried to investigate what happens. The program
fills a few members of v4l2_format structure ( leaving most of them
uninitialized ) and makes a call to ioctl(VIDIOC_S_FMT). Driver checks
the uninitialized fields ( cfmt.type and cfmt.pix.pixelformat ), finds
them unacceptable and returns -EINVAL...
I must be doing something wrong. What drivers should I use to test the
program?

--
Best regards,
 Eugene