List:       linux-video
Subject:    [video4linux] STB TV-PCI?
From:       Eric Jorgensen <alhaz () xmission ! com>
Date:       1998-07-29 21:01:40

	I've just gotten myself a deal on one of these. $35 to be exact,
it's a pull, and untested, so it's a gamble. But, we'll see if it works
when it gets here I guess.

	Anyhow, I was wondering if there's any specific information about
how well this board works currently with video4linux - any limitations or
special quirks.

	Also, I have a 2-meg S3 968 based board in the linux box right
now. Is that going to be a problem? I could swap it out for a #9 Imagine
128 with 4 meg if it's just plain not going to work out.

	And if anyone was confused, yes, I do already own a MediaVision
ProMovieStudio. And I also own a Tecmar PC/TV (as soon as the api spec
settles I'll start figuring out how one writes a driver). And I also own
an Elsa Riva-128 based board that has video capture and overlay
capability, too, but that's in the Wintendo.

	The Tecmar box ought to be fun. 100% external, takes all commands
through the keyboard port, and I'll probably never get around to working
out it's parallel port capture capability. Mostly 'cause I lack the cable.

	I think this act of collecting video capture hardware results from
my being deprived of a working capture device for many years . . . I
bought the PMS board 4+ years ago, and it was real cool for about 6
months, and then I stopped using it, and then I ran into problems futzing
about with memory managment under DOS and OS/2, and then Win95 came along
. . . You get the picture. It was just so much work to get it working
again, that I never messed with it.

	Anyway, thanks.