List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: Support for Medion CTX953
From:       Benjamin Adler <benadler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-08-09 16:38:15

First, thanks for all the information!

> linux/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware tda10046
>
> ^^ This will fetch and extract the firmware for you -- put it into
> /lib/firmware, ditch your old file.

I should have said that the file
http://www.technotrend.de/new/217g/tt_budget_217g.zip is not available any
longer (404), which is why I tried the renamed .dll.

I don't know which of the alternatives at
http://www.technotrend.de/2692/Tools___Downloads.html could fit. Do you?

> > - How do I make it work?
>
> I saw your chat on irc with nshm -- read the wiki page HOW TO ADD
> SUPPORT FOR A NEW CARD, and the saa713x section of the GPIO PINS on the
> v4lwiki -- this provides the information that you need to create a
> saa7134 card struct and sniff GPIO values from the windows drivers.  DO
> NOT work directly with the kernel sources -- you should download the
> latest devel sources from linuxtv.org via mercurial (hg) -- see
> http://linuxtv.og/repo, for instructions. When your patch is ready,
> please read the README.patches file for the proper method of submitting
> the changes for kernel inclusion.

Dear Mike, this is waay too much for me. I don't know how to read GPIO output,
I don't know how to "Hack the driver to pull this bit low" etc. Oh, and I
currently don't have access to ms windows.

This GPIO stuff is part of the saa713x chip, right? Why can't the GPIO
settings of another saa7131E/03/G chip be used? Do they have different GPIO
settings even though they have the exact same name, or am I the first asking
for saa7131E/03/G-support?

Is there an altruistic (and preferably german) linuxtv/dvb hacker reading
this? The card was part of http://www.medion.de/md8824/, so I would think
there should be quite a few people waiting for this card to be supported.

I'd pay for the shipping (to AND BACK ;) If not, I'll just wait.

thanks!
ben