List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: xawtv and video display
From:       Rick Miles <rickfrm () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-05-24 21:32:51

Sid Boyce is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!

I have joy and no joy.

I have included Load "extmod" and have eliminated the missing xvideo message
when starting xawtv and xawtv -hwls now yields:
<snip>
probing video devices ...
 [v4l2] /dev/video0          DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus      PCI:0000:00:09.0
 [v4l] /dev/video0           DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus
 [xv] port:138               xv port: 138 (NVIDIA Video Inte
<snip>

There is no longer a missing xvideo message, however, I still cannot get video
and still have the message "cannot play video stream".

I am wondering if there is something wrong with my compile of 4.0-pre since it
ignores the -hwscan option and just opens xawtv.

My compile of 3.94 gives me the following when I use the -hwscan option
<snip>
# xawtv -hwscan
This is xawtv-3.94, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.11.9)
looking for available devices
port 105-105
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV10 Video Overlay

port 106-137
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV05 Video Blitter

port 138-138                            [ -xvport 138 ]
    type : Xvideo, video overlay
    name : NVIDIA Video Interface Port

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus
    flags:  capture tuner
<snip>

"extmod" is a well kept secret:^) I usually just comment out "vesa" and add
"nvidea" to default generic vesa xorg.conf after installing slack. This file
does not set for loading extmod. "extmod" only shows up in this xorg.conf in
a subsection heading:
<snip>
SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection
<snip>

I have now included a Load "extmod" line in xorg.conf and in comparison to
you:

> # xdpyinfo|less
>      XVideo
>      XVideo-MotionCompensation
I only have XVideo listed

> # grep XVideo /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) Loading extension XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

I now have:
#grep XVideo /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf here has this for an NVidia card with the NVidia
> driver 7174. "extmod" missing no doubt from xorg.conf/XFree86Config.
> Section "Module"
>      Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
>      Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
>      Load "extmod"
>      Load "type1"
>      Load "freetype"
>      Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

Section "Module"
# Load video for linux module
	Load "dbe"
	Load "v4l"
        Load "extmod"
       	Load "glx"
#      	Load "dri"
#Option"omit "xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    	Load        "type1"
#    	Load        "speedo"
    	Load        "freetype"
#    	Load        "xtt"
EndSection
Not being sure of what to do with that omit xfree86-dga line from the
SubSection "extmod" I've commented it out.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

Written on Setting Orange, the 72nd of Discord, 3171
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~rickfrm/