List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: fbtv - not a linux console
From:       Shaun Jackman <sjackman () telus ! net>
Date:       2004-08-18 16:37:34

On Wed August 18, 2004 05h13, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On 17 Aug 04 at 22:04, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > I'm attempting to run fbtv on the second head of my Matrox G550. I'm
> > running fbtv from my X terminal.
> >
> >     $ fbtv -d /dev/fb1
> >     using linux console font "/usr/share/consolefonts/lat1-16.psf.gz"
> >     ioctl VT_GETSTATE: Invalid argument (not a linux console?)
> >
> > It looks like fbtv wants to be run from a virtual-terminal, but I
> > don't have a VT associated with this FB. Is the VT strictly necessary?
> > I'm trying to use fbtv somewhat like mplayer.
>
> It just wants ANY vt - it uses this VT for controling its behavior -
> enabling/disabling picture, channel up/down, quit and so on.
>
> If you are starting fbtv from X, you can use 'openvt fbtv -d /dev/fb1 -k',
> but I do not think that there is some way to control fbtv then, except
> switching to VT opentv opened and hitting appropriate PgUp/PgDn/q keys.
> Probably something like xawtv-remote has to be written for fbtv. Or
> maybe it would be simpler to teach xawtv how to use fbdev, so you would
> have empty control window in X and TV picture on other head.
>                                                        Petr Vandrovec

# openvt fbtv -d /dev/fb1 -k

The command returns immediately. Does openvt have the effect of
running the command in the background? I ask because fbtv writes some
info to the status line, but I never see any TV and the clock never
increments. It appears as if it immediately closed.

Perhaps fbtv could be modified to take its input from standard-in
rather than from a Linux VT. I also like your idea of modifying xawtv
-- or TVTime for that matter -- to write to the frame buffer.

Cheers,
Shaun