List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    Re: [Linux-usb-users] Why would ehci-hcd slow down the network?
From:       David Brownell <david-b () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2007-06-21 15:27:02

On Thursday 21 June 2007, Dirk Försterling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried another PCI card (unfortunately, it's a VIA 6212L, too)
> but the symptoms remain the same: Shortly after inserting ehci-hcd,
> the system slows down and I get at most 1.89MB/s with the attached
> WD disk.
>
> Any news on the meaning of the Start/End ASS messages? What else can
> I do in order to find the cause of the problem?

ISTR that previous email flagged the misbehavior of the async
schedule enable/disable as completely explaining the "slowdown"
issue ... the controller wasn't getting off the PCI bus when it
was told (because it has no work) to do so.  So it's sitting in
a tight loop DMAing lots of nothing, keeping other devices from
accessing the bus.

There was a patch to increase one of the lowlevel timeouts, and
I don't recall ever seeing feedback about whether that made the
problem go away.  A quick look suggests that the qh_link_async()
handshake() call timeout might be increased -- try 500, that's
disgustingly long given that the spec guarantees 125.

- Dave