List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    Re: [Linux-usb-users] Further to: Acer Aspire 9300
From:       Alan Stern <stern () rowland ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2007-03-21 14:42:36

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Isaacs wrote:

> "I have purchased an Acer Aspire 9300 notebook and am trying to install a
> Debian distribution.
>
> Sarge does not work directly because it fails to detect the hard drive
> at hde. Woody will install. I have managed to upgrade the Woody
> distribution to Sarge. I have not been able to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel.

Why not?

> USB flash keys are not detected in any of the configurations. USB serial
> devices and 1284 devices are detected if they are plugged at bootup.
> Removal and re-insertion of these devices are detected a few times but
> detection eventually fails. "

What shows up in the dmesg log when you plug in a USB flash device?

> > You'll need to supply some more information. Try reading the Linux USB
> > User Guide and FAQ at http://www.linux-usb.org. If that doesn't
> > actually help supply the info request in the question about reporting
> > bugs.
>

> Hello Stephen, et. al.,
>
> I re-read the USB User Guide and FAQ more carefully but still didn't
> find anything directly applicable to my difficulty.
>
> Further digging finds:
>
> less /proc/bus/usb/drivers producing:
> usbdevfs
> hub
> keyboard
> acm
> audio
> 96-111 hiddev
> hid
> 0-15 usblp
> usb_mouse
> usbnet
> serial
> usb-storage
>
> less /proc/bus/usb/devices produces entries for:
> T: bus 01
> S: OHCI root hub
> T: prnt for pl2305, 1284 device
> T: serial for pl2303 device
>
> The latter two entries appear and disappear until a flash key is
> inserted after that they don't appear again until a re-boot.
>
> lsmod produces:
> sg cpuid usb-storage pl2303 belkin_sa usbserial usbnet usbmouse printer
> hid audio soundcore acm mousedev keybdev usbkbd input usb-ohci usbcore
>
> lspci -v | grep -i sata produces:
> nothing
>
> lspci produces an entry
> unknown mass storage controller: Texas Instruments: unknown device 803b
>
> Could the unknown TI controller be preventing SCSI devices from being
> found by the kernel?

I doubt it.  More likely it's a PCMCIA controller or something similar.

> I discovered reading Linux Desktop Hacks ( Petreley & Bacon, O'Reilly )
> that hde5 is a SATA drive. I assume that it should show up as sd(n). A
> Google search of, hde5 sata debian, produced hits but nothing directly
> USB related. The general suggestion seemed to be to compile a kernel
> with SCSI and SATA options.
>
> The kernel I have is 2.4.18-bf2.4. Is there any way that I can determine
> if it has been compiled with SCSI and SATA options?

As fas as I know, 2.4 doesn't include any support for SATA at all.  Even
if I'm wrong, support probably wasn't added until long after 2.4.18.

> Will missing SCSI and SATA kernel options prevent a flash key from
> showing up in /proc/bus/usb/devices?

SATA has nothing to do with it.  Missing SCSI kernel options could have
that effect.

Alan Stern