List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    Re: [Linux-usb-users] Re: Spin down via Sabrent (Genesys) USB-IDE
From:       Alan Stern <stern () rowland ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2006-04-27 14:29:06

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Yak Mandango wrote:

> > I doubt this will work.  SCSI commands get translated by the USB-IDE
> > converter into ATA commands, and the converter probably doesn't know
> > how to handle START/STOP commands.
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> That's right; the SCSI sdparm doesn't seem to have an effect.  Sending the
> same SCSI command via sg_utils or scsitools also doesn't.
>
> And...no word from the manufacturers.  So, I think it's almost safe to say
> that the hardware doesn't support IDE [versions of] start/stop.  "Almost",
> because it's still possible that it's somehow not getting the USB commands,
> because of something between the SCSI emulation and the physical USB layer.
>
> I'm going to dive into some libusb, and see what damage I can do.  I'll
> report findings...

Some USB-ATA converter chips do support vendor-specific translation for
special ATA commands.  There was a long discussion about this in the
usb-storage mailing list late last year.  Read through the messages
starting from here:

https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pipermail/usb-storage/2005-November/002065.html

Some significant problems remain, owing to lack of support in the SCSI
stack.

Alan Stern