List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] USB devices "shutdown": taking logs
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Henrik_H=E4rk=F6nen?=" <heharkon () iki ! fi>
Date:       2006-04-24 5:06:22

> > I have a strange problem: I noticed that whenever I turn my printer
> > (HP 3820) off, which is connected to the USB bus, all my other USB
> > devices turn off too! These include a Terratec Aureon MKII USB

> What do you mean when you say the other devices turn off?  Do you have any
> hubs or are all devices plugged directly into the computer?  Does anything
> show up in the dmesg log?  What happens if you unplug one of the "turned
> off" devices and replug it?

Heh, yes intuitively and effectively they turn off :) but indeed I
don't know what really happens inside... anyway, after I turn the
printer off, the soundcard's light goes off and doesn't play music
anymore, and the mouse's light (optical mouse) goes off too, thus
doesn't work anymore. The printer and the mouse are connected directly
to the computer on the back side, and the soundcard is connected to
the front plane of the computer, where there is also two usb ports.

I briefly tried to tail /var/log/dmesg but I recall no messages. I
have to try this again at home, I was disturbed by my wife back then,
and didn't get the chance to do anything useful... :) Also, good idea
that unplug/replug, I have to try that and see how it affects!

> > wake up again. I'm using Ubuntu Breezy with kernel 2.6.12-10-386. The
> > motherboard is on Shuttle's XPC machine, ST61G4.
>
> If you upgrade to the 2.6.16 kernel, does anything change?

Also, good idea, 2.6.12 seems to be quite old...

> > So, the question is, do I have to recompile the kernel with
> > CONFIG_USB_DEBUG option, or can I access the relevant information some
> > other way? And who would be interested in this kind of data? (since
> > I'm not a kernel hacker :)
>
> Turning on CONFIG_USB_DEBUG would be a good idea; you never know what it
> will show until you try it.

Ok, I'll have to try these things with the new kernel. I hope I have
some time during the weekend, and 'mayday'.

Thanks Alan!

-Henrik