List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Fwd: Re: [Linux-usb-users] iRiver and VFAT cross linking]
From:       "John O'Donnell" <juanisan () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2006-04-23 19:34:17

Sorry for the directy replay Alan - I forgot to reply to the group...
My bad...

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, John O'Donnell wrote:
>

>>I am having a problem with my iRiver 899-T mp3 player with recent kernels.  The
>>last good kernel that worked flawlessly with this device was the 2.6.11 series.
>>  I need the more recent kernels for lots of other driver fixes to work with my
>>computer (onboard ethernet finally works, etc).  But this one last issue
>>plagues me.
>>
>>The iRiver uses usb_storage like tons of other devices.  Yet my Nikon camera
>>and a USB flash drive seem to work fine but this iRiver broke after 2.6.11.x
>>
>>If I write several files to the device, it will start to break the filesystem
>>via cross linking files.  The initial symptoms that caught my attention:
>>* listening to a song and it gets cut short and the iRiver just immediately
>>jumps to the next song.
>>* listening to song A and it jumped to song B mid stream yet the file it says
>>it is playing says A.
>

>>Now If I reformat the device and boot up a 2.6.11 or earlier kernel and ONLY
>>use those kernels with the iRiver, it works flawlessly again.  I can write
>>thousands of times with no problems what so ever.  I now have to dual boot
>>kernels all the time.
>>
>>I cant verify if 2.6.12 worked because 2.6.12 broke adaptec drivers and I have
>>all SCSI in my system.
>>
>>2.6.13 didnt work.
>>If I boot back to my current 2.6.14 setup and try to write, it gets all cross
>>linked again.
>>
>>What kind of information would be needed to help get this fixed!  I am willing
>>to do anything to get this one last issue with my system fixed.
>

> This sounds like a pretty tough problem to pin down.  You're saying that
> the device fails to carry out WRITE commands correctly and yet doesn't
> report any errors.  This makes it nearly impossible to tell when an error
> has occurred, let alone figure out the reason for the error.  We're pretty
> much reduced to guessing.
>
> For a start, you should post the entry in /proc/bus/usb/devices for the
> player.  You should also check the output from dmesg to see if there are
> any errors or warnings in the kernel log when you plug in the device or
> when you write to it.
>
> By the way, are you careful always to unmount the player's filesystem
> before unplugging it?
>
> Alan Stern

Thanks for the reply Alan!

Yeah I kinda figured it wouldnt be as easy as a problem with a USB adapter I
bought last night (SanDisk SDDR-103) that doesnt seem to detect the Write
Protect flag correctly.  I had to change the source in 2.6.15.4 that I upgraded
to this week to ignore that bit.  I thought that used to be a kernel option?

Anyway, but I get sidetracked.  Unmounting?  I have been admin + programming
Unix variants for 20 years ;-)  Slackware Linux is my only OS at the moment.
Yes I am careful plus I use the "sync" option so I dont have to wait when I
unmount for the buffers to flush.

No errors in dmesg but I have CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG off.  Should I enable
that?  (stupid question)...  Although I did have that on at one time and dont
recall seeing any error messages.  But I just compiled up a new module with
that on and am loading it.  Getting ready to trash this thing yet again with
2.6.15.  Fresh battery....  Turned on.... Plug it in...  remove old module...
load new...  WOW!  That is a lot of verbose output...  I havent even mounted it
yet. LOL

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=03 Cnt=01 Dev#= 52 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=4102 ProdID=1108 Rev= 0.01
S:  Manufacturer=iRiver Limited.
S:  Product=IFP-800 HIGH SPEED
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

I am gonna erase the FS since this is the messed up one and let the iRiver
format itself.  Unplug. Format. 100%. Rebooting iRiver.  No Files.  Replug and
lets rock!

fstab:
/dev/sde        /mnt/iriver     vfat            noauto,sync

all the dmesg output is getting sent to /usr/adm/debug I see...
909.3 MB 164k/sec?!?  1 hour 34 mins?!  Oh yeah - I forgot the old 2.6.11 was
faster too.  Another problem I forgot....

I was just writing 700k/sec to that SanDisk I mentioned above.  Both these
devices are USB 2.0 as you can see on the iRiver output above.  But with every
kernel after the 2.6.11 only the iRiver is slow.

whew... I am going out to dinner and let this finish and bring in my XP laptop
to do a chkdsk when this is done.

102 MB of 909 MB 1:25:51 remaining - ugh

Be back later
Johnny O

--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===