List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    Re: [Linux-usb-users] LG Electronics MF-PD360 & SuSe 10.0
From:       Alan Stern <stern () rowland ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2005-11-30 15:17:57

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Greg KH wrote:

> Anyway, usbfs can now be accessed through device nodes, and we provide
> the proper permission for them through udev.  libusb was patched to go
> through those nodes instead of the usbfs files directly.

What about devices that don't have device nodes?  For instance, devices
with no drivers bound?

Or are you referring to some sort of device node I'm not aware of?

In any case, it's handy to have /proc/bus/usb/devices around.  It contains
information not found in sysfs, like non-active configurations and
altsettings and the device's current speed.  It also presents this
information in a compact, easy-to-read form -- unlike sysfs where all the
pieces are spread out over many files or lsusb whose output is
not compact.

Alan Stern