List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    Re: [Linux-usb-users] Problem with bluetooth USB on Powerbook G4
From:       Andrew de Quincey <adq_dvb () lidskialf ! net>
Date:       2005-08-02 11:16:52

On Tuesday 02 Aug 2005 11:36, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 Aug 2005 09:44, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> > > The device numbers aren't particularly important.  They are assigned
> > > one by one as devices are found by the kernel and have nothing to do
> > > with the devices' inherent characteristics.  The significant thing is
> > > that you both show two devices, even though the product IDs differ.
> > > Your 0x020f may be the same kind of device as Johannes's 0x020e -- it's
> > > harder to tell what's going on with your 0x1000 and his 0x8205.  Maybe
> > > the Bluetooth device requires a firmware upload, which causes the ID to
> > > change.  If your system failed to carry out the upload, it would
> > > explain why the device doesn't work properly.

> > > That's consistent with the ID changing as a result of new firmware.

> > > Those errors probably are just transient, not fatal.  I think you can
> > > safely ignore them.  After all, the devices _are_ detected in the end.

> > > Try to find out if the Bluetooth driver does upload firmware to the
> > > device and if something goes wrong with the upload.  It would also be a
> > > good idea to CC: the maintainer of the Bluetooth driver.
> >
> > Aha, great idea. I've been browsing about in the mac os file system, and
> > it does seem to support several bluetooth devices.. I'm specifically
> > interested in "BroadcomUSBBluetoothFirmwareDownload.kext" which sounds
> > likely. I'll find out the exact hardware used later.
> >
> > I see there _is_ a linux driver for a USB broadcom bluetooth adapter that
> > uploads firmware. I'll try that one out in a bit - hopefully it is just a
> > matter of adding the correct USB IDs.
> >
> > CCed to the bluetooth list in case anyone can throw light on this.
>
> Just noticed another weirdness - this mysterious 0x5ac/0x1000 device. Under
> an lsusb -v it shows up as:
>

> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05ac:1000 Apple Computer, Inc.
> Device Descriptor:
> bLength                18
> bDescriptorType         1
> bcdUSB               2.00
> bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
> bDeviceSubClass         0
> bDeviceProtocol         0
> bMaxPacketSize0        64
> idVendor           0x05ac Apple Computer, Inc.
> idProduct          0x1000
> bcdDevice           17.92
> iManufacturer           0
> iProduct                0
> iSerial                 0
> bNumConfigurations      1
> Configuration Descriptor:
> bLength                 9
> bDescriptorType         2
> wTotalLength        15104
> bNumInterfaces          2
> bConfigurationValue     1
> iConfiguration          0
> bmAttributes         0xe0
> Self Powered
> Remote Wakeup
> MaxPower                0mA
> Interface Descriptor:
> bLength                 9
> bDescriptorType         4
> bInterfaceNumber        0
> bAlternateSetting       0
> [...]

A friend has just pointed me to:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72101/wo/oT5zorkeg3cH25IQOn622ueI85D/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.5.19.0.1.0.1.1.2.1.0.15

Maybe my powerbook is booting up with the bluetooth device in a
'compatability' keyboard/mouse mode to support that bluetooth keyboard, and
it needs switched into 'normal' bluetooth mode somehow.