List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] can't write to thumb-drives
From:       Destry Jaimes <dj () swicked ! net>
Date:       2004-07-29 18:40:34

I've got two different USB thumb-drives. One is a Nexdisk 128MB and the
other is a Creative NOMAD 128MB that doubles as an mp3 player. I have
usb-mass storage compiled staticaly in my kernel. After boot up, which
ever thumb-drive gets plugged in first, is the one that works just fine.
I can create files, remove files, etc with no problems. But the other is
unable to be written to. I can create a new file, copy or move a file to
it, etc., but as soon as i umount the thumb-drive, the files are lost.
I've tried using sync before umounting it, but it doesn't help. I have the
same problem on 3 different systems, and 2 different kernels (2.4.23,
2.4.26), and 2 different versions of slack (9.1, and 10.0). I've also
tried compiling usb-mass-storage as a module, but then i can't write
succesfully to either of the devices. here is some info on one of my
systems, as they are all configured similarly.

snip of /etc/fstab ---

/dev/sdc1        /mnt/usb1        vfat        noauto,user      0   0
/dev/sdd1        /mnt/usb2        vfat        noauto,user      0   0

---
snip of /proc/scsi/scsi ---

Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Creative Model: NOMAD MUVO       Rev: 0100
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: JUNGSOFT Model: NEXDISK          Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

---

snip of dmesg after inserting NOMAD MuVo ---

hub.c: new USB device 00:10.0-2, assigned address 11
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 11

---

snip of dmesg after inserting NEXDISK ---

hub.c: new USB device 00:10.0-2, assigned address 12
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 12

---

bash-2.05b$ cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-1/3
   Host scsi3: usb-storage
       Vendor: Creative Tech
      Product: NOMAD MuVo
Serial Number: 0000810429E5810C
     Protocol: Transparent SCSI
    Transport: Bulk
         GUID: 041e41060000810429e5810c
     Attached: No
bash-2.05b$ cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-2/4
   Host scsi4: usb-storage
       Vendor: JUNGSOFT Co.,Ltd
      Product: NEXDISK
Serial Number: 20030620143207-02
     Protocol: 8070i
    Transport: Bulk
         GUID: 09a68001003062fffffff602
     Attached: No

---

Since the NOMAD MuVo was the first device i plugged in after a boot, it is
the only one that i can write files succesfully to. If i reboot and insert
the NEXDISK first, then it will be the only one that is succesfull.

If anyone has had similar problems, or if anyone can suggest a fix, i
would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

--
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither."
		-- Thomas Jefferson