List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] Reloading usb-uhci.o necessary for HP printer
From:       Juergen Leising <juergen.leising () hamburg ! de>
Date:       2004-07-28 13:51:27

Hello,

I have problems with an HP LaserJet 1010 usb printer under
kernel 2.4.26. I can print out successfully for some time, but
all of a sudden, the printer cannot be accessed any more.

The only method to regain control over the printer is
to remove and reload the module usb-uhci.o manually. This will
work for some minutes, but the problem reappears again.

I have tried to use uhci.o instead of usb-uhci.o , but uhci.o
produces kernel oopses.

How can I avoid  this failure?

Is this a problem of usbcore.o or usb-uhci.o, or printer.o or
a problem of the printer specific drivers (hpoj-0.91, hpijs-1.6)?

Because of the workaround (= reloading usb-uhci.o) I would say,
it is a usb related matter rather than a hpijs or hpoj related
one - but I'm not sure. It seems that the usb system looses its
connection to the printer. The printer related drivers leave
the following messages right after that loss:

ptal-mlcd: ERROR at ExMgr.cpp:3165,
dev=<mlc:usb:hp_LaserJet_1010@/dev/usb/lp0>, pid=3292, e=4,
t=1089847229         llioSubprocess: llioWrite returns -1,
expected=6!
ptal-mlcd: ERROR at ExMgr.cpp:2818,
dev=<mlc:usb:hp_LaserJet_1010@/dev/usb/lp0>, pid=832, e=11,
t=1089847229         llioService: fdRead returns 0, expected=6!
ptal-mlcd: ERROR at ExMgr.cpp:870,
dev=<mlc:usb:hp_LaserJet_1010@/dev/usb/lp0>, pid=832, e=11,
t=1089847229         exClose(reason=0x0010)

lsmod:

usb-uhci               24196   0  (unused)
printer                 9024   1
usbcore                78688   1  [usb-uhci printer ov511]
ov511                  74016   0

lspci -v:

00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID): Unknown device 1234
        I/O ports at a400 [size=32]

00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID): Unknown device 1234
        I/O ports at a800 [size=32]

Output of usbview:

	USB UHCI Root Hub, see http://www.8ung.at/leising/usb1.txt
	USB UHCI Root Hub, see http://www.8ung.at/leising/usb2.txt