List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] Problems with Creative USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
From:       Benjamin Bock <bnjmnbck () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2004-03-25 17:37:42

Hi there,

* the device:
ID 041e:3020 Creative Technology, Ltd
:3020 is a "Creative USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX"

(btw I already sent this and some other IDs to Vojtech Pavlik
<vojtech@suse.cz>, maintainer of usb.ids, so don't run and add it, i
think he will do when he hast time to)

* software:
lsusb (usbutils)  0.11
kernel: 2.6.5-rc2-mm2 (also tried with gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.0 up to
2.6.4-r2 and some prior 2.6.x versions of mm-sources)
alsa 1.0.3

* outputs:
-dmesg:

usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 3
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver snd-usb-audio
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver audio
drivers/usb/class/audio.c: v1.0.0:USB Audio Class driver

-lsusb:
the output of lsusb -v is a little long (about 40KB), that's why i don't
include it here. it can be found on
http://nix.bockb.de/lsusb-v-s1.3.output.txt
( http://nix.bockb.de/ is my homepage where i am collecting information
which may help for getting the devices up and running)

* the problem:
i sometimes got the message "Config 0 descriptor too long, truncating"
(I am not sure if it still occurs, i can't find the exact output right now)
lsusb -v -s 1:3 stops shows following error-msg: (these are only the
last few lines, full above)
  descriptor length past end: 09 05 81 01 03 00
  Language IDs: (length=4)
     0409 English(US)

As you can see the descriptor gets truncated and i think this could be
the source for problems with alsa and others.
alsamixer can't change the volume of all channels, maybe doesn't show
all correct, ...

i think it could be sufficient to increase the buffer sizes for the
descriptors in linux-usb/kernel.
if you need more information than provided please let me know.

hope to hear from you,
Benjamin