List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] Tyan Tiger K8W (S2875) USB issues
From:       Mark Watts <m.watts () eris ! qinetiq ! com>
Date:       2004-03-22 13:38:38

I have a Tyan S2875 board with two Opteron processors.

Kernel is 2.6.3 running on Mandrake 10.0 Community.

On the ATX back panel are four USB ports. Two are in the same block as the lan
port and the other two are on their own.
There are some additional headers on the motherboard, one per controller.

According to lspci, I have the following USB controllers:

01:00.0 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8111 USB (rev 0b)
(prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8111 USB
        Memory at fc9fc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

01:00.1 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8111 USB (rev 0b)
(prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8111 USB
        Memory at fc9fd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

01:0b.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 61) (prog-if 00
[UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB
        I/O ports at a800 [size=32]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

01:0b.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 61) (prog-if 00
[UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB
        I/O ports at a880 [size=32]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

01:0b.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 62) (prog-if 20
[EHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
        Memory at fc9ff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

- From what I can gather, the two separate ports are the AMD controller, and
they only support USB 1.1. The motherboard manual supports this theory.

The other ports are the VIA controller, and they support both USB 1.1 and USB
2.0.

Whichever ports I plug a USB 2.0 20Gig hard drive into, I only get USB1.1
speeds out of it.
Using usbview shows that if I plug the drive into the VIA ports, its using the
uhci-hcd driver.
If I use the AMD ports, it uses the ohci-hcd driver.

If I use the system case USB header plugged into the USB2.0 motherboard header
(as marked in the motherboard manual) the light on my drive comes on but the
system doesn't even acknowledge that I plugged anything in.

On my AthlonXP system with a VIA USB 1.1/2.0 controller, I can use any port on
the motherboard to plug my drive into and I will always use the ehci-hcd
driver and get USB 2.0 data rates, even if the uhci-hcd driver is loaded too.

Is there any way of either forcing the VIA ports to use only the ehci-hcd
driver, or is there something else going on?

Cheers,

Mark.

- --
Mark Watts