List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] can't mount USB pen drive
From:       Emmanuel Touzery <emmanuel.touzery () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2004-03-21 12:45:24

Hello,

I'm having difficulties mounting a USB pen drive on Mandrake 9.1
(which ships with a patched kernel 2.4.20 with devfs).
The kernel properly detects the device, usb-storage is loaded, but no
device node is created and I have no idea why. I tried to modprobe
sd_mod, without success. the device works properly on windows 2000 and even
Mandrake 8.0 (patch kernel 2.4.3, no devfs).
I'm using on this machine a usb mouse and usb scanner without any
problem.

upon connecting the device i get this in /var/log/messages:

Mar 20 10:28:46 papillon kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2,
assigned address 2
Mar 20 10:28:46 papillon kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod
0x90a/0x1540) is not claimed by any active driver.
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for
USB product 90a/1540/100
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage
driver...
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
usb-storage
Mar 20 10:28:50 papillon kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2,
frame# 1692
Mar 20 10:28:51 papillon kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Mar 20 10:28:51 papillon kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices

notice the "interrupt" and "timeout" messages.

as you can see there is not mention of assigning the device a SCSI
host, lun etc. in /dev/ i only have /dev/host0/.. which are my
ide-scsi CD reader and burner. I would expect a /dev/host1/.. appear
with the USB device.
The device is mounted on /dev/sda (or sda1 i don't remember precisely)
on the mandrake 8.0.

Also, "fdisk -l" does not list the device. and /proc/scsi/scsi when the device
is plugged shows:

[emmanuel@papillon emmanuel]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-ROM DVD-106  Rev: 1.22
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: CD-RW GCE-8320B  Rev: 1.04
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor:          Model:                  Rev:
  Type:   <NULL>                ANSI SCSI revision: ffffffff

I'm using ide-scsi on my DVD reader and CD burner but removing it does not
help.
The device does not require any special driver on windows 2000, and since it
works on kernel 2.4.3mdk I assume it's not a unusual_devs.h issues (unless
it's a regression in the kernel?).

Does anybody have any idea?

Thank you, any help welcome,

emmanuel