List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    Re: [Linux-usb-users] need serial-to-USB adapter for RH 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18-3)
From:       Greg KH <greg () kroah ! com>
Date:       2003-09-26 16:36:15

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:57:04AM -0500, Joel L. Breazeale wrote:

> Therefore, can you think of any known problems that would explain why
> the serial barcode reader would produce gibberish (it looks just like
> what one would see if one did not have the data/stop/parity right)?
> Is there anything I can do to make this easier to diagnose (for your
> sake)?

If you load the driver with "modprobe <driver_name> debug=1" you can see
all of the data flowing through the driver in the kernel debug log.
Look at that to see if it is even receiving the proper data.  Sounds
like you do not have the line settings set up properly for some reason.

And again, switching to a newer kernel might help :)

Good luck,

greg k-h